Atlantic Canada Trail Riding Association
- Roy Drinnan
ACTRA rules require all riders to be wearing approved ASTM/SEI helmets while mounted.
little inspiration to keep you training over the winter
Link out to helpful article on AERC site:
YouTube clip of taking a horse's pulse Click
YouTube clip of How to Take Your Horse's Vital Signs Click
Jean Bridges and her daugther Ann participating in the Surf N' Turf ride held on PEI July 11, 2009.
"I realized how much I did not know. The good endurance and long distance rider never knows enough, and he knows he does not. That stops him making costly and dangeroud errors." Ann Hyland author of Riding Long Distance
Donna Munn in Parrsboro
Things I have learned by owning a horse
1. People who don't take care of their own horses will be the first ones to tell you how to care for yours.
2. You should never buy a cheap girth!
3.A handsome horse who's badly behaved will become a lot less attractive in about 15 min.
4. People who think they have nothing more to learn about riding, hit the ground the hardest.
5. Children and ponies are natural allies and often have identical dispositions.
6. The richest horse people often look the poorest.
7. The closeness of a horse is one of the sweetest smells in the world.
8.A solitary ride through the bush is more beneficial than six months with the best psychiatrist.
9. The worse a person rides the more likely they are going to blame it on the horse.
10. The best thing about going to the barn first thing in the morning is that horses don't care how you look.
11. If a dealer insists a horse is worth twice what he's asking he's usually worth half that much.
12. The best way to appreciate how another person rides is to get on their horse.
13. I can recognize another horse person no matter what town, city, state, county or country I visit.
14. You can never have too many hoof picks.
15. It is not wise to argue with something that outweighs you by 1,000 pounds.
16 .I'd rather have a horse with a perfect mind than a perfect head.
17. Eight hours is too long to be in the saddle!
18. If you think you have left the water on in the barn you have, if you think you have closed the pasture gate you haven't.
19. When someone asks you if you like their horse, always say yes
20. The happiest people I know own horses, dogs, cats and at least one deranged goat.
21 .If you're looking for the perfect horse you will never own one.
22. Owning a horse can either make a marriage or break it.
23. I'd rather lose my lipstick than my curb chain.
24. You shouldn't talk about your first place ribbon to someone that came in second.
25. If someone says that a horse has a little buck, it has a BIG buck.
26. If we need rain, schedule a show.
27. I've never warmed up to some that didn't want a walk down to the stables.
28 .A clean barn and a sparkling horse are among life's great pleasures.
29. Even given away horses can be too expensive. Especially give away horses.
30. No matter how badly behaved you are your horse always gives you a second chance.
31 .A more expensive horse doesn't make a better one.
32. I can't stand to have an empty stable.
33. Losing a horse can break your heart, but it will have been worth it.
"If you can't imagine life without a horse... DON'T!"
"God forbid that I should
go to any heaven in which there are no horses."
Progressive dehydration affects the normal functioning of the "thirst center" in the central nervous system. Thus, dehydrated horses badly in need of fluids may entirely lose interest in drinking voluntarily. If you know your horse has been working and sweating hard throughout the day, and yet is not drinking, do not assume he doesn't need water. In fact, he may be approaching a metabolic crisis if not resolved quickly. Don't make the mistake of thinking, "he knows best what he needs"---use your head to make the right decisions on his behalf.
THE PINK CHALLENGE
THE 12 "MOST IMPORTANT" THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOU OWN A HORSE.
|Click here to return to top of this page|
Atlantic Canada Trail Riding Association
Site created by Karen Murray
Contact Web Master